Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 4, lunch

My big surprise lunch contains ... tuna salad! Wait, stay with me. It's worth reading on.

I'm not one to boast about my cooking ability, but tuna salad is something I can do well. The secret is beets, and although I used to take the time to roast them, I've been buying the vacuum-sealed ones lately and have been amazed at their exemplary taste.

So here it goes: a can of water-packed tuna (I use Starlite), cubed beets (red or golden, if you can find them), diced celery, garlic and yellow onion (as well as some minced green onion), salt and pepper, a few drops of lemon juice and healthy sprig of dill. I usually throw a hardboiled egg or two in there, forgot it today (perhaps on purpose because of my breakfast).

Mix well, but not thoroughly; I like each element to retain its character. Sandwich between slices of pumpernickel bread. Slice diagonally. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment