Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Somewhere in New Hampshire ...

Hello friends, readers and foes: A joyous post-harvest season to you all. I'm back now that apple season has ended and I can focus on my Internet writing again. I had my last Jonagold the other day — it was a bit mealy, signifying that it was time to bring out the woolen blankets and stoke the fire.

The death of apples also means that delicious orange crops are imminent. It is a wonderful thing. I bought five oranges today, early yet, but why not? They were irresistible, stacked just so in a pyramid at the grocery store. Here's a full report: The Sunkist navels are vivid-looking, but the inner fruit is rather pallid and sour. Still, the scent of a citrus peel is enough to make me crave even a vinegary orange. I always peel oranges, never slice. These days, I live for anything that comes in segments. Ah, the life of a retiree.

4 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on Clementines? Too oriented towards the tourists of oranges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them very much, but am hard-pressed to finish a carton by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you think Sonia's enjoying the Supreme Court cafe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anonymous,.

    I imagine she likes it as much as I liked it, which is to say not very.

    ReplyDelete