Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 48, the summer soup

I've never been one to drink my meals — I find mastication entirely satisfying and necessary for satiety — but I've taken to subsisting on cold summer soups as of late. My heartburn has been giving me trouble and besides sleeping with four pillows under my head and indulging in a Pepto Bismol nightcap, the summer soup is a delicious antidote to my ailment as well as a way to acquire proper nutrition.

Those of us with GERD are aware that spicy and/or fried foods are the first off the diet roster when symptoms flare, followed closely by glorious, luscious tomatoes of all size and color. This means, unfortunately, no gazpacho. But I've found a formidable substitute in cucumber mint soup. I use half of a medium cucumber, a cup of Greek yogurt (I like Fage 2 percent), a tablespoon of chopped mint, crushed ice and salt and pepper to taste. I blend the mix, it takes about two minutes, and then I have a fresh, clean, seasonal meal. Do you have a favorite summer soup I could try?

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Souter, I have been following your blog with delight for a little over a month, and although I have been tempted to respond a few times, this is the first I have felt that I have something to offer besides praise.

    I am a fan of chilled fruit soup. I have found that strawberries and peaches work best, but have also had some success with pineapple as well. I don't use a formal recipe instead opting to use what I have in the fridge on any given day. The base is two cups of fruit, blended with milk and/or yogurt, perhaps a little light cream or wine if I feel like indulging, sugar or honey to taste, maybe a drop of vanilla or almond extract if I think of it. I have served it to friends on a hot day with a cold green bean salad. It is just enough to satisfy without weighing one down.

    In the past, I have made cucumber and mint sorbet, more of an ice really, that is very refreshing on late summer nights when it feels as if nothing is moving except mosquitoes.

    Your menus and musings have inspired several of my meals over the last few weeks. Please keep them coming.

    I, too, will drink orange juice over ice, especially when drawing from the bottom of the carton.

    Arlan-Elizabeth, Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete